U.S. Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo extends Condolences On the Passing of Former Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone | site |

(November 29, 2019) - - Today (November 29, 2019), U.S. Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo offered the following condolences:

It is with great sadness that I extend my deepest condolences to the family of former Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone and the people of Japan. Prime Minister Nakasone was a courageous leader at a critical juncture for Japan and a trusted friend of the United States, who personified the strength of the U.S.-Japan alliance and economic relationship. As a great statesman, his efforts to improve relations with neighboring countries and address the daunting international challenges of the day have had a lasting impact on the international community.

I, and the people of the United States, will long remember Prime Minister Nakasone’s warm friendship and immeasurable contribution to U.S.-Japan relations, as well as his inspiring dedication to his country and the region.