Federal Emergency Management Agency Issues FAQ for Survivors with Losses from Both Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Matthew

(October 13, 2018) - - Today, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) published the following information:

Background: Thousands of survivors whose homes were damaged by Hurricane Florence were also affected by Hurricane Matthew two years ago. Many homes were still being repaired when Florence struck. Survivors residing in Special Flood Hazard Areas who received real property and/or personal property assistance after Matthew were automatically enrolled in a 36-month Group Flood Insurance Policy but may not be aware they have coverage through 2019.

Q: If I received real property or personal property assistance from FEMA after Hurricane Matthew, will I be eligible for Home Repair assistance after Hurricane Florence?

A: If your home is in a Special Flood Hazard Area you were automatically enrolled in a three-year Group Flood Insurance Policy and are insured for losses from Hurricane Florence. You should speak to your insurance agent and/or file a claim.

If you are not sure how to contact your agent or insurance company, call 800-427-4661. If you are unsure how to file your claim, visit this website: fema.gov/nfip-file-your-claim. Make sure you have the following information handy when speaking to your agent or insurance company:

• Policy Declarations page (official document detailing your flood insurance coverage), if available.
• Contact information to reach you, including a telephone phone number or alternate contact number and an email address.
• The insured property location.
• The name of any mortgage company(s).

An insurance adjuster should contact you within a few days of starting your claim. If you do not hear from an insurance adjuster, you can contact your insurance agent or company again.

If your home is not in a Special Flood Hazard Area and you have uninsured damage from Florence, you may be eligible for additional disaster assistance for items not covered by your policy. To register, call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 TTY) or by applying online at DisasterAssistance.gov.

Q: What if my Hurricane Matthew-related home repairs weren’t finished yet?

A: FEMA-contracted housing inspectors are trained to identify damage related to Hurricane Florence, even if a dwelling was in the process of being repaired from another storm.

Q: What if I was not living in my home because it was still undergoing repair from damage caused by Hurricane Matthew?

A: You must be able to prove you lived in your disaster-damaged dwelling as your pre-Florence primary residence before receiving Housing Assistance and some types of Other Needs Assistance. FEMA verifies occupancy at the time of registration or at the time of inspection.

If you were not occupying your primary residence at the time of the disaster, you may still receive consideration for assistance. Submit a written statement along with supporting documentation containing your name and the address of your residence.

Credit: Federal Emergency Management Agency