Federal Emergency Management Agency Offers Military Personnel Disaster Assistance

(November 10, 2018) - - Today, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) published the following information:

Tallahassee, Fla. - - FEMA may provide disaster assistance to eligible, active-duty military and civilian military employees as long as it does not duplicate assistance from the military.

Active-duty military and civilian military employees who live in privately owned housing on base may be eligible for all categories of housing assistance.

Applicants living in military housing may receive Rental Assistance if they document that they are not receiving housing assistance from another source.

Active-duty military personnel stationed outside the country may authorize a third party to be present for inspection of their damaged primary residence.

To use a third party, a military applicant must provide the FEMA-contracted inspector with the name and contact information of the authorized agent. At the inspection the third party must have personal identification along with the nine-digit FEMA registration number of the applicant.

When a FEMA inspector arrives, he must provide official government identification including a picture ID.

Miscellaneous personal expenses related to the disaster that are not covered by insurance or defense department programs may also be eligible for FEMA Other Needs Assistance.

Register or get information at DisasterAssistance.gov, through the FEMA app on phones/tablets, or call 800-621-3362, 800-462-7585 (TTY). Multilingual operators are available 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. If you need a sign language interpreter, foreign language translator, a Braille document or large-print or electronic file and it is not available on the FEMA website (Resources-people-disabilities-access-functional-needs), please call 470-364-7252.

Credit: Federal Emergency Management Agency